Ruxz_M-rbu5hJUPoenSULdy6Wzk The Science of My Life: Survivor Tree in NYC and the POWER of Nature!

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Survivor Tree in NYC and the POWER of Nature!

One of the stories I shared with my students this week was about this Survivor Tree.  It was the last living thing pulled from the rubble at Ground Zero.  It was burned and broken.  But it has been nursed back to health all these years, and was replanted at the Memorial Plaza in NYC.  I hope all the thousands of people directly affected that fateful day have received similar love, support, and care by those around them.

http://www.history.com/videos/making-the-911-memorial-survivor-tree

I am grateful that waterfalls and trees are the centerpieces of the Memorial site.  I watched family members today be able to touch their loved ones' names that are written around the perimeter of the waterfalls.  Very poignant.

I love these quotes that emphasize the powerful healing abilities of the natural world.

"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely, or unhappy is to go outside...amidst the simple beauty of nature."  Anne Frank

"Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts."  Rachel Carson

No comments:

Post a Comment