Ruxz_M-rbu5hJUPoenSULdy6Wzk The Science of My Life: Kool-Aid Chemistry and favorite Kool-Aid recipe for playdough

Friday, December 30, 2011

Kool-Aid Chemistry and favorite Kool-Aid recipe for playdough

One of my goals for this blog is to make science fun for families to explore and understand together.  So I downloaded Popular Science for my new Kindle :), and I get daily science articles.  I am sharing the Kool-Aid link because I have been making homemade playdough for years thanks to my friend Natalie and this recipe.  Recently I have been using this basic recipe to explore a new experiment called Squishy Circuits that teaches children about circuitry using playdough.  Absolutely the coolest thing ever!

So here is the Popsci.com article and my recipe.  I will also link you to Squishy Circuits.  I am preparing demos to take to schools in 2012.  Very exciting!

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2011-11/instant-kool-aid-eight-ounces-water-and-full-innovation

http://courseweb.stthomas.edu/apthomas/SquishyCircuits/index.htm

Kool-Aid Playdough:
MIX Together:  3.5 cups flour, 0.5 cup salt, and 1 TB cream of tartar
MIX together: 4 packages koolaid...same color and flavor
                        2.25 cups boiling water
                        3 TB oil

Combine the wet and dry ingredients and knead, first with a spoon since it will be hot, then with your hands!  The flour used is actually variable...I start with 3 cups and add until the dough is not sticky.  I store this playdough in the fridge in an airtight container for months.  It is great fun for all ages!
I usually half the recipe so that I can make 4-5 batches of different colors without using all the flour in the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment