Ruxz_M-rbu5hJUPoenSULdy6Wzk The Science of My Life: Updated: Science Mom Reading List over the break....

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Updated: Science Mom Reading List over the break....

My friend Megan invited me to read a new book over the Christmas break, so I thought I would pass the title along to you, as well as a few other books that I am reading or just finished. 

After getting a recommendation from a family member, I read and then assigned the book, The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind by William Kamkwaba.  It starts out a little slow, but I really enjoyed his story and what he was able to accomplish for his family, his village, and the world.  My students really enjoyed the story and made them a little more thoughtful about what they have and how they take their education for granted.

Next on my list is The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot, which is a story about the journey her cells have taken from 1951 to now...without her knowledge.  It will be a lesson on bioethics for me and I plan to assign this book to my Biology 100 students in Spring.

Just finished the book.  So interesting!!  I have always enjoyed biographies and this book did not disappoint.  It was full of biological concepts, so I may not require my nonmajor students to read it, but I totally recommend it for science students and teachers.

Finally, Megan is reading  The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman.  She says it is about the cultural clash between ancient traditions and modern medicine.  I believe the setting is China. 

With so little free time, I do enjoy reading books and stories that make me think.  Enjoy the Christmas break, and find something wonderful to learn about.

No comments:

Post a Comment