Ruxz_M-rbu5hJUPoenSULdy6Wzk The Science of My Life: Let's celebrate Dr. Jane Goodall!

Friday, April 3, 2020

Let's celebrate Dr. Jane Goodall!

It's April 3, and Dr. Goodall is celebrating her 86th birthday!  I have posted about her before, but this year is special.  A few months ago on a quick trip home to Texas, I was able to visit the Grapevine High School Ecology Center, which we originally built during my senior year of '88-'89.  The dedicated teachers recently assigned to the Center have great things planned to restore the space to the primary purpose of outdoor, experiential learning. 

During my trip, I was able to locate, scan, and share most of the original pictures and documents from our work in the early years of the project.  These can now be accessed by the current set of students who will continue our efforts.

I am grateful for the influence of my parents who made it possible for me to meet Dr. Goodall in 1985.   After the tireless work of my mentor teacher, Sherri Steward, we were honored to have Dr. Goodall dedicate the Ecology Center in 1989.  She returned to support our school again in 1992 when the students were ready to celebrate an expansion. 

Dr. Goodall is a global influence today, even as she remains safely isolated at her home in England during the COVID 19 pandemic.  She remains active, passionate, and driven in much the same way that led her to Africa in the 1960s to change the world!

Seek out the people that have made a difference in the world.  They are real, and sometimes you get to meet them!   Sometimes they are the heroes in your own community.  Reach out, say thank you, and commit to making your little corner of the world a better place too!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/science/jane-goodall-coronavirus.html








No comments:

Post a Comment