Ruxz_M-rbu5hJUPoenSULdy6Wzk The Science of My Life: Letterboxing while you socially distance...scavenger hunt hiking!

Sunday, April 5, 2020

Letterboxing while you socially distance...scavenger hunt hiking!

I have been an avid letterboxer for over 10 years.  I have dragged family, friends, and strangers on these deliberate hunts in all kinds of places.  Sometimes it has been a wild goose chase (in Lake Tahoe and on the shore of Puget Sound, and southeast Alaska to name a few memorable hunts) but most of the time, we find a hidden box right where the clues lead us.  The small containers have a stamp and a logbook for finders to document their success.  These boxes are hidden in plain site all over the world, and I have loved discovering new places as I follow the directions.  They are placed on tops of mountains, and underneath park benches.  They are NOT supposed to be left in national parks or other restricted areas, but they are near entrances in West Yellowstone and other popular tourist destinations. 

You can find clues using a variety of apps and websites, but I stick with
https://www.atlasquest.com/
http://letterboxing.org/

Look up your area and see if anyone has hidden a box to find.  Geocaching is related, but I like the no-tech features of letterboxing.  As you safely explore the world around you, enjoy a new hobby!  It is so fun!






No comments:

Post a Comment