Ruxz_M-rbu5hJUPoenSULdy6Wzk The Science of My Life: Admiral Fitzroy Storm Glass

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Admiral Fitzroy Storm Glass

I received the coolest Christmas present from my in-laws.  I am now the proud owner of a Fitzroy Storm Glass.  It took me a minute to realize how cool this weather gadget was, because I had never heard of it...but Admiral Fitzroy's name was very familiar.  Well, of course he was the captain of the HMS Beagle, the ship that carried Charles Darwin around the world on his famous adventure.  While on this 5 year journey, the captain made detailed observations of this weather glass, which had been used since the 1700s, and refined the design and materials used.  I am thrilled to have a piece of Beagle history in my house!  But what is so much cooler , is that you can make your own...with a little help from friends with chemicals... (Megan, that's you!)  So here are your very own instructions to make a storm glass.  Happy Winter!!

 http://chemistry.about.com/od/weirdscience/a/fitzroy.htm

and here is a link to some good questions that came up from this article...
http://chemistry.about.com/b/2010/09/03/storm-glass-specifics.htm

1 comment:

  1. I, too, am fortunate! I received one as a birthday gift last week. I don't understand how it works on weather from inside the house; but, if I were to put it outside would the alcohol keep it from freezing? I am fascinated and shall continue research. Please let me know if you have more ideas on the subject. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete